Friday, December 23, 2011

Quack

I cooked my first duck. I haven't a clue why but I was a little intimidated by it. Gordon was pretty funny when he was at the checkout registers after doing a little shopping for me and said to the clerk when he saw the price of the 8 oz. of pine nuts and the duck, 'do you supply security out to the car?' He's so funny. In the end,
I was far away into the studio when the timer went off two hours after the duck went in. I haven't a clue how long I overcooked it. Oh well, it's edible and it's only for an appetizer for Christmas eve. Actually a whole duck doesn't have a lot of meat on it. And compared to the duck we used at culinary school, this particular duck was a bit anorexic. I seem to recall much more fat. I will mix the chopped duck meat with mango chutney and goat cheese and top it on a toasted baguette slice and have a nice holiday crostini.
My sewing student, Anna, brought over a little something yesterday afternoon and it seemed to make an impression on Bella. I was going to the kitchen from the studio at about 10 p.m. last night and there she was, up on the dining room table looking very guilty and squinty. Thankfully she hasn't mastered opening containers yet!

I don't know what the next couple days will be like. My family starts coming today and that will be the start of family, friends, food and fun. I wish you all the best of the holidays !!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Duck everyone"..but do have a Merry merry Christmas, one and all, short (Violet) and tall (Mr.G.).

xxx

Robbie said...

Same to you Tommy! And I made your Black and white bark candy today!! Yum!! I did post about it. So good...but so addicting!!! I can see those 10lbs. I lost coming back on QUICKLY! ugh!

Anonymous said...

Have a Merry Christmas! I really enjoy reading your blog. Thanks,
Robin in so. IN
indyqltr@hotmail.com

Miracles said...

Merry Christmas Tommygirl. Peace, love and prosperity to you and your family.