Sunday, January 29, 2012

Horticulture Lesson

I was in a neighbors yard, after delivering them some food and I thought that many times I have thought to share with you the tree between our two houses and so back in the house I went and got my camera. This tree is amazing.

Talk about one stop shopping.
It is five fruits in one that have been grafted together. The harvest includes meyer lemons, ruby red grapefruit, navel orange, minneola tangelos and persian limes.
When they first got the tree each of these forks had a label onit to tell you what was actually what but now only the navel orange trunk holds a tag. When they first start to sprout, it's hard to tell one from another.
They also have another crazy tree. It is a combination of some regular tree and a palm tree. It appears that they were growing so close together that they meshed together. I really don't know the story on this tree but it was there so now you know.

2 comments:

Robin K. said...

I'll bet that that's a banyan (ficus) that is surrounding the palm tree. I grew up in Hawaii and I saw this happen quite a few times. I've also heard of something called a strangler fig growing in the south, but I have no idea if that is what is growing in your neighbors' yard.

Love reading your blog and admire your quilts.

Miracles said...

Don't steal the neighbors fruit.