Saturday, March 24, 2012

Freezer Paper Tutorial

I have had several email inquiries into the freezer paper method of machine applique that I am currently doing so I thought I would give you a little tut on it.

First off, you cut out your pattern from freezer paper. Draw the mirror image on the non shiny side of the freezer paper. If you are dealing with multiples of the same shape, put several layers together and staple them together so you eliminate movement and then cut out four to eight of them at a time. I usually end up cutting most of it out with a rotary cutter and maybe a little fine tuning with a sharp paper scissor (or is that scissors?).

Iron the shiny side down onto your fabric with non steam heat. Remember, we want to eventually remove the paper. Steam just makes that more difficult.
After it's ironed down, then I trim to within a quarter to an eighth around outside, and in this case, inside. I clip those inside curves but it isn't necessary on any of the large curves or the outside ones.
Here it is trimmed and clipped.
I start in the center and with my trusty
spray starch, the lid to the spray starch can and a paint brush, I paint the seam allowance I left on and iron down. This is the least pleasant part with these ovals. The ironing board gets so hot I am constantly moving around the board to find a spot that cooler.
When they are all ironed down
You have your completed pattern piece. I always attach these pieces with matching thread (or close to it). I used to use mono filament but I had so much trouble with breaking, I just quit using it. It's easier to change thread constantly than to mess with mono that won't cooperate.

After the pattern piece is sewn down and there isn't any possibility that you will change your mind as to the final placement (I am so far from this place, I don't even want to think about it) you turn it over to the back and make a slit and pull out the paper. The more you iron on the paper, the tougher it is to remove. Just a heads up on that. I do not close up the slit; I have never found any reason to do so. That's the tut!

No comments: