Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Shadow Knows

I was about three quarters of the way through pinning together the top, batting and backing for quilting my current piece when this nagging thought got the best of me; should I worry about the shadowing that keeps catching my eye? If you look at this photo and zoom on the bottom of light curve you can see a shadow of the blue background. It shows up in all the light colors
but I won't bore you with each and every picture of it. Well, I decided I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least try and minimize (doesn't that last word look weird?) the shadowing so I unpinned the whole thing and after catching up with eight taped episodes of Jeopardy
I may be a third of the way through the snipping. The problem is, it is very dangerous to do this and not cut into the quilt top itself because sometimes you need to get very close to the seam. Also, because of the sewing on top of sewing on top of even more sewing, sometimes the shadowing can't be eliminated. This is not something you do with a glass of wine. Trust me.
So, at attempt number a million, yesterday I felt confident that I finally dyed fabric for my underwater scene to my liking. I want to get this dyed before I head north because I don't dye up there and I want to recreate a quilt that I made years ago and made poorly. I was as happy as a clam, cleaning up all my dye stuff while the final washout was taking place. To my horror
this is what I ended up with. I can't believe it but I no longer know what I am doing. I have read my handouts and all my hand written notes about all the dyeing info, and it's like reading latin (which I don't). I think it's because I didn't dye at all last year,and so, I did not retain the basic elements. I hate getting old. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

4 comments:

Synthia said...

what a terrible thing to happen to you!! :-( The fabric on the lawn was gorgeous. So sorry it washed away.

Miracles said...

Oh Tommy.....what a hassle. I don't know how you do it. I'd be so angry that I'd rip it to shreds!

Nola G said...

Have you considered that the dye could have gotten old (not you)? Procion dye can have a shelf life of 3 or 4 years. You mentioned you hadn't done any dyeing for quite some time. I've had this happen on occasion - the dye looks strong but just washes right out. Old dye not old brain cells. Doesn't that make you feel better!

Nola G said...

Have you considered that the dye could have gotten old (not you)? Procion dye can have a shelf life of 3 or 4 years. You mentioned you hadn't done any dyeing for quite some time. I've had this happen on occasion - the dye looks strong but just washes right out. Old dye not old brain cells. Doesn't that make you feel better!