Monday, April 02, 2012

Venice Quilt Show

It was a lovely day to travel and go and see the Venice Area Quilters Guild, that they put on every other year. It doesn't take me long to go through a show. I have very distinct likes and I gravitate to them. All others get a look see but not long lingering viewing.
This was number seven in the silent auction and the one I liked best. I had a feeling it was my friend Pam's and sure enough I looked it up and it is called 'Sarasota Sunset'. I think it went for seven hundred and thirty six dollars.
This piece is also Pam's and is about as unique as it can get. I just put a few three dimensional pieces on my last quilt top and thought I was quite clever. I guess not so much. This base quilt actually has sixteen little quilts on it and it is called 'Pieces of Fun' and the little quilts can be rearranged!!!
Here is a side view so you can see the dimension.
There is something about this quilt that draws me to it, even though it is quite traditional. I think it's the shape of the colored blocks.
The name of the quilt could stand some sprucing up. It is called 'Creative Two Block Quilt' and is done by Brenda Hall.
This 'Endangered Panda' turned out just delightful. It was done completely by Barb Plough.
This is called 'Snow Cabins' and is done by Robin Kriegs. It's fun, isn't it?
I love the colors in this one. It is called 'Eye of The Storm' and is done (and hand quilted) by Lou Taft.
This little quilt was first done by Pam Morris and it's called 'Moon Over Elk Lake'. Then Deborah Iverson 'cut up' the quilt and reconstructed it. Interesting. Pam did the quilting. Interesting concept.
This isn't my taste at all but it certainly caught my eye. This quilt, 'Grandmother's Patience', done by Tena Davis was pieced using the English paper method and 1/4" hexagons!!!! It hurts my hands to think about doing that!!!
The second I saw this I thought of my visit to China and now I know why. Called 'Symbols of The Orient' by Liz Bruckman, it is designed with photos and souvenirs from several Asian countries. It is hand quilted.
This too, caught my eye and at the time I didn't know why but now I am quite sure it's because of the circles!!! It is called 'Seahorse' and is hand appliqued by Barbara Shapiro.
I love, love, love this quilt by Pam Morris called 'Florida in The Balance-Rivers'. Click on it so you can see all the varieties of stitches she uses.
This was a block of the month, nine month class on machine applique by Lunetta Knowlton and is called 'Vintage Dreams With Attitude'. After it was quilted, Lunetta did lots of beading on it. It's very whimsy.
This frog quilt looks considerably easier that the ones I did this year. I am going to have to steal this idea. If you look closely, you will notice that there are two stuffed frogs in two pockets. It's called 'Six Frogs A Leaping' and was done by Carol Preddice.

3 comments:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Recognized Pam's work right away.
I thought about going to the show but 2 1/2 + hours drive each way was more than I wanted to do.
Again, you did it for me. I'm quite sure I would have picked most of the same things you did as favorites.

Anonymous said...

Love the frogs!
Pjn

Karen said...

Thanks for the tour!