Sunday, May 27, 2012

Roll Out The Table

We didn't have everyone for dinner last night. G had to represent us at a friend's kids wedding just over the border in Wisconsin. It was Maria and Peter's fifth wedding anniversary and Maria was preforming in a play she is currently in. So we decided to do something different for dinner.

I had seen this type of thing done on the Food Network's Michael Chiarello's show.

We did a variation of that show.   Maggie covered the porch table with kraft paper and Evan served each place setting a ladle of soft fontina polenta as our plate.
In the center of the table was a combination of various colored bell peppers, grape tomatoes, onions and jalepenos that were oven steamed with oil, fig and balsamic vinegars and s and p. I steamed sweet italian sausage and brother Bill finished them off on the grill, along with sea scallops.  
This was my first helping.  We had a bowl of pesto and more polenta on the table.  We served red wine in pint ball jars.  It was fabulous and everyone loved it. 
And talk about cleanup; just remove the dishes and roll up the mess.  My kinda cleanup. 


We started discussing when we thought G would get home.  He had said that he would see us in the morning because he predicted he would return home at about 2 a.m.   I said that I know he wouldn't stay that long, especially after everyone was drinking and he's not much of a booze lover.  So we decided to put five bucks each on it and each guessed what time he would come through the door.


It was pretty exciting.  We were all huddled together watching The Big Year and my time for his arrival came and went and it was almost out of Mike's time frame and into Bill's, when like a mirage, my sister's face lit up and with a minute to go, she greeted G at 11:46.  The money is burning a hole in her pocket.

2 comments:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Guess G must have been right in my neighborhood!

Miracles said...

I would've called his cell ahi asked him to arrive so I could win the bet....just saying.