Friday, May 18, 2012

A Street In Ireland

I couldn't be happier with the outcome of the group slice quilt. It took me a good week to tweak it but it is in the mailbox, waiting for the postmistress to pick it up and send off the entry to Houston.  Let's go back for a minute.

I was discussing another group quilt for a few months and was getting nowhere until my friend Judy sent me this photo that her daughter in law took while visiting Ireland.

It seemed perfect to me for a group quilt; there was room on top and room on the bottom so that if I needed some wiggle room to match stuff up I would have it.  Plus, with the different colors, it made for friendly colorful piece to work on.  I used a program that Judy suggested called Perfect Resize and came up with a 70 some inch blow up.  It was around 34" tall.
Here it is, on the dining room table in Florida.  I didn't even start the cutting because it was too tightly curved.  It needed to rest.  This was March 22nd.
Here is the first half cut into five parts, all equal.  It was scary to cut it up and all the while I was thinking, don't screw this up.  These blown up pics aren't cheap plus I was running out of time in order to make the Houston cutoff.
Here is the second half, which you can see is much more complicated that the first half.  I randomly gave out the slices except for three.  I knew one person was heavy into tax season and being an accountant, I chose to give her a less complicated block.  I chose what I thought was the most detailed block for myself.  This is not to say that I am any better than any one else in doing these things; far from it, because it is not in my comfort zone.  I chose it because I couldn't, with a clear conscience, give it to anyone else.  Now, after getting all the slices back and spending some quality time with them, I no longer think my block was the most complicated.  Oh, the last one I didn't pick randomly was the big tree.  I know a gal who is great with thread work and I was not disappointed.  Every participant got their slice picture with backing, batting and a list of a thousand directions. Their deadline to have it to me was May 7th. I had them all waiting for me when I returned north. I actually think that the shorter deadline is better because there is less time to fret and procrastinate.
This is the finished work.  I decided to give the bottom an uneven look and I like it so much better than the first time I did it and cut them off evenly.  I wish this picture was bigger but I suppose you can click on it and see detail.  Better yet, I will take pictures of each slice individually and blog them tomorrow.  Right now I need more coffee!

15 comments:

tresiarth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tresiarth said...

Tommy, I am so impressed! It is truly amazing and I keep flipping back between the picture and the quilt. Great job ladies!

Miracles said...

This just takes my breath away. You and your quilting friends are beyond talented. That 'Slices of Ireland Picture Quilt' will take first prize. I know it.

Anonymous said...

You should all be proud of yourselves -- it' stunning -- and a well-chosen starting point too!

Karen said...

Wow, that is one awesome entry! Everyone did such a great job and on time AND best of all, no flakers!

Anonymous said...

Where is my comment that I left five hours ago???

xxx
(The quilt and subject matter is my all-time favorite)...although it seems every quilt you and your quilting friends make, is knock-your-socks-off.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Fabulous!!!

Robin said...

I came to look from Kay's blog- It's interesting to see the process and the finished quilt- really wow!

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

A job well done. I always enjoy your blog. Nice to see the actual photo in detail. The slices all turned out so nice.

Mary Stori said...

This concept is familiar to me.....but never have I seen it done so well with such an intriguing subject. Fingers crossed that others will enjoy it at Houston in the fall.

Mary Stori said...

This concept is familiar to me.....but never have I seen it done so well with such an intriguing subject. Fingers crossed that others will enjoy it at Houston in the fall.

Gayle from MI said...

I'll say it again. Outdamnstanding!
I keep coming back to this post and looking at all the details. Everyone did a wonderful job. But most of all you, Tommy, for having the skills to pull it all together and tweak that final stuff. Your presentation here on the blog is wonderful as well. Thanks again

Anonymous said...

Truly AWESOME! Well done to you and your group.

Candied Fabrics said...

This is lovely! Bravo all!!!!

Ethne said...

This is just brilliant - Ireland to a 'T'