Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Heavy Knitting

This dress took me forever to finish. I know why but it takes awhile for me to admit that even though I love all the knitted stuff that is in all the many books and magazines on the art of knitting, almost all things are impractical except for hats, scarves and sweaters. I have
completed the dress and realize the it will probably be worn once in Violets lifetime.  By the time you get the thing done and sewn together, these things are usually 'heavy'.  Even tho' it was knitted with baby cashmere (Debbie Bliss) it still has some weight to it.  That means that for every day wear it is not practical.  It needs to be worn when it's cold.  Too warm for inside and not warm enough for outside.   Whatever; I am,  from now on, steering clear of knitted clothing.  I remember making my mom a beach coverup when I was in college and it was knitted with that string cotton that you can still find everywhere.  Anyway, by the time I finished knitting it, the weight was so ridiculous that I knew she would never, ever wear it.  I still had to give it to her because of all the time I had invested (wasted) completing it and like I knew in my heart of hearts, I never saw it again after I sent it to her.  That was more than 40 years ago; when will I ever learn?

4 comments:

Irene said...

I have knit several dresses using DK weight cottons, or sock weight yarn doubled. Favorite is one called Oriental Lilly ( google search, free) worsted is too warm, but the DK in washable yarns get worn all the time, and they live in Virginia.

Robbie said...

Well...it's still darling! Looks good on your blog anyway!

Miracles said...

Grandma's busy hands does it again. I love the color.

Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful job on it and I can see white tights underneath with black Mary Janes! Cute!!