Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Inspiration

Yesterday was a glorious day. The weather was perfect to have the doors and windows open. It hovered around eighty but there was a great breeze and the sun was intermittent. I
love days like that. 

I decided on my current project for my daughters guest room while staring blindly at my Melody Johnson bulletin board.  There is a little

a little sketch on it that caught my eye and I took it down, made a copy of it and thought about how it would work as a triptych.


It originally was the doodle idea for the quilt I call 'Under The Palm' and I did follow the sketch somewhat but this time I was gonna follow it to the letter.  I split the sketch into three parts and copied it on acetate.  I put that under the overhead projector and aimed it on the doors that keep my fabric safe from the sun.

This picture  is of the whole sketch that I will trace using my free paper from the newspaper printing place.  I make three drawings; one for each of the three parts.  I then put it on the window (backwards) and retrace the lines.

 
I make patterns of all the shapes out of freezer paper (that's why it's backwards; the freezer paper is actually ironed on the back side of the pattern piece).  Then I will choose what color will be the backdrop for all the other shapes and after making all the pattern pieces and labeling them, I flip the paper around and retype it to the window.  The background fabric will be taped over the  design and then I start to add the individual pieces to it, appliquéing them by machine.

I am getting ahead of myself.  More tomorrow.

3 comments:

Robbie said...

I enjoy watching your art work come to life! How cool!

Miracles said...

Easier said than done. This coming winter I will watch you work that technique from start to finish.

Gayle from MI said...

You have so much more patience than I have for sure. All that freezer paper makes me nuts!