Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Happy 4th!!!!!!

I just finished up a new cake that I have never made before. I got the recipe from the next door neighbors daughter from D.C. who is visiting. We got to talking and she said it was the very best so of course, I had to try it.

I made the three layer cake portion a couple days ago and cooled and wrapped in Press and Seal and then put in a ziplock and froze.  Last night I made the marzipan layer that consists of almond paste, powdered sugar and light corn syrup.  These ingredients were mixed together and sealed well to rest for the night.  This morning I made three rounds of 1/8"  marzipan
and while I was doing it, my measurer bands that I put on my
rolling pin split, just like old rubber bands do.  I can't believe it!  I have only used them a half dozen times and they weren't cheap.  I guess they definitely weren't made out of silicone!
The cake layer itself is pistachio flavored.  You start with one cake layer, then do a layer of preserves (the recipe calls for apricot; I used raspberry) and then the marzipan.  You top that with bittersweet chocolate ganache .  You repeat these layers until the top when the whole cake
gets a ganache layer which is topped off with finely chopped
pistachios.  Then it is carefully, along with Violet's half birthday cake, packed up to go into the city for a family 4th of July celebration at my daughters house.  That is where I am going now.  Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Miracles said...

Those are all the ingredients of Napolitano Cookies, also known as tri-color cookies. I use both apricot and raspberry preserves. That cake must be delicious because it's a giant Napolitano cookie. Have fun today!