Thursday, August 02, 2012

Farm Girl

At the spur of the moment I decided to harvest my second planting of basil. The temp has been so hot and the plants were looking a bit shriveled.
I cut the stems off and hauled them into the kitchen.  Then I did something I never do; I took the root balls out of the pot.  I decided I have at least two months of good weather so why not transform the seven basil pots into lovely flowers?  I have the habit of watering daily down pat so why not?  My plan is to buy them today and plant them.
I long ago saw a Martha Stewart show that was all about keeping your garden tools in good order.  I thought it was a great idea for someone that didn't actually have to do it themselves but it never stuck to me until yesterday.  The blades of my clippers were embarrassingly dirty.  Probably because I have had them for fifteen or more years and never cleaned them.  They are now spic and span and oiled with a little Pam.  I am proud of my achievement.
And a tip about making pesto?  I pick off the leaves and put them in an 8 cup pitcher (which is the amount I use for one batch) BEFORE I wash it.  That gives a more accurate measure than after it has been wet and wilted.  So I measure the individual batch amounts and place them all over the kitchen on towels.  It's a pretty funny sight.

1 comment:

Miracles said...

Well, it's about time you got around to cleaning your garden tools!