Sunday, September 23, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake

Yesterday was truly a fall day. It was hovering around 50º all day with a nasty wind.  I am quite certain that the leaves will now start to change colors. We did have to run some errands yesterday. My sis and I went to CVS for some more Benedryl for Bella and while we were there we decided to get the Smirnoff Whipped Cream Vodka, because I got an email telling me how good it was. At checkout we got to talking to the gal waiting on us and on her recommendation also purchased UV vodka that is Cake and tastes like white cake. In the end, we went back to CVS after hitting the farmers market, the grocery, and a quilt store. With all the gabbing the CVS checkout gal neglected to charge me for the Cake vodka. This next part is difficult to rekindle. I went up to her at checkout and handed her my receipt and the booze bottle
and tried to make eye contact with her, noticing that the guy next to her had a name tag that said Shift Supervisor.  I didn't want to get her in trouble so my eyes were trying to tell her the story, all the while, she was taking the coupon off the receipt and getting ready for completing a refund.  I tried to whisper  to her but she didn't get it at all.  Finally I said that I never purchased it to begin with.  It turns out the two were fast friends and we just told the story about us talking about the various vodkas and what we liked about them and we all had a good laugh.  Mike and I went home and made hot chocolate and liberally laced it with vodka whipping cream.  It was fantastic.  And we tasted the UV and the CVS gal was right; it was amazing.
In deference to the cold day we came home and soaked white beans and then put in all the ingredients for beans and ham in the crock pot.  It's the perfect stick to your ribs dinner.
I made corn bread to go along with it and sprinkled them with red pepper flakes because I forgot to mix them into the batter.  I put my corn bread into the beans and ham.  It added just the right sweetness to the dish and I was quickly very full.  It was great.  It looks like another blustering day today.  I think I will need a sweater or else we will have to turn on the heat!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the whipped Vodka. There is also one, I think chocolate Whipped, that tastes like Chocolate silk pie. Couple shots of those puppies and life is soooo good.
Bill was just talking about soaking beans for ham and beans...must have been a "Kane" connection day!
Aunt Claudia

judy said...

Your CVS drugstore sells Vodka??? That seems really weird, but very one stop shopping. What else does it carry?

Miracles said...

That soup looks delicious. I'm off to have soup

spikemuffin said...

Were you drinking before the CVS visit?

Anonymous said...

It must be a Kane thing! My mom & I were just talking about beans & ham and her maiden name is Kane. Hmmm....