Thursday, October 11, 2012

Rock Around The Clock

I have now started to stockpile baby quilts for the hospital for when I take off for
Florida.  I don't make as many as I used to because of the economy, there aren't as many babies born as there were.  That goes for Florida too.  Last year the amount of Moses baskets and quilts Catholic Charities needed from me for the migrant workers was way down.  

The finishing off of the quilts here got easier tho' because in the past, I made labels and sewed them on each quilt.  The whole thing started with a program that was put into play at the hospital, in part by my friend Micky, where there were assigned times for volunteers to come into peds or ob to rock babies that needed that personal touch.  Rockers (they were called) came into the hospital and donned a lab coat with a Rockers patch on it and sat in donated metal rockers and made some child feel loved. 
When it started out, I made quilts for the Rockers to use and then the child would keep it.  But, how could I just stop doing it?  Then it expanded (the quilts) to all kids in pads.  The kids in the hospital minimized and for one reason or another (I wasn't involved in that part of the kindness) the Rocker program fizzled.  So, no labels.  It makes me sad but I hated making the labels.  I never quite knew what I was doing and I have been doing it for a good ten years!!!  I

3 comments:

spikemuffin said...

Pressing the "Like" button on this one.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Impressive pile of quilts! I've stopped making labels and now just write on the back with permanent marker.

Miracles said...

You amaze me