Wednesday, November 07, 2012

What's Wordle?

There was an exhibit called Black and White with a Twist and I will show you my three favorites in the show.
I love simple clever graphic stuff and this fits the bill perfectly.  And, more importantly, I love the name of the piece.  It is 'Pointless' and done by Laura Bisagna and it is machine pieced and quilted and hand appliqued.
Trish Charity did 'La' Femme' and surrounded the female figure with print that she generated by using Wordle, a toy for generating 'word clouds' from text that you provide.  Using india ink she surrounded the shape with words from both Romeo and Juliet and Taming of the Shrew.  I am gonna google Wordle when I am done here.
This reminds me of many a Nancy Crow study.  I have lots of the black and white studies that most of Nancy's classes start with.  This is very eye catching and it was done by Annette Guerreno and is named 'Gridlock'.
This is the Mona Lisa using thread.  It was constructed out of 1482 spools of thread by Coats and Clark.  To view it not up side down (and for a sharper picture) you can view it through a viewing sphere.  
After viewing it that way in the sphere, I just took a picture of it and it turned out the right way anyway.  I kinda don't get that.  It's very cool tho'.  The rows of spools are dropped down on chains that are anchored from top to bottom.  Very clever.

No comments: