Tuesday, January 01, 2013

New Tricks

Happy New Year!


It is hard for me to comprehend the fact that someone that lives next door to me doesn't know how to use a computer or have one for that matter. Yesterday, my ninety year old neighbor rang the doorbell and asked if we could print out something on a CD disc. I eventually found out that he is interested in buying a rather rare car and the dealer sent him a zip drive in the mail about the car. He then proceeded to go to his favorite italian restaurant and had his favorite server convert the zip to a disc. He finished his meal and went to Walgreens to have the pictures printed and they said they don't do that. Hence the visit to me.  Little did I know that the disc held 92 full page colored pictures of every speck  of the car.  The neighbor was here for an hour, as that is how long it took to print (that and all my reserves of ink!) He had no idea what the original zip was or the fact that it could hold so much.  While waiting for the printing (which unfortunately was on best quality printing!) I showed him an iPad and that all you have to do is type in what you want to look up and there it is.  I also took his picture while he wasn't looking and then videoed him talking to G.  He was surprised by it's ease but I could still see that he wasn't really interested.  Ah, well.  In this case, you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

I want to show you two gifts I made for Christmas.  Can a girl have too many
pin cushions?  I don't think so.  I would have rather embroidered the lettering but I can no longer use my dated embroidery system because it is configured for a PC and I have been a Mac for sometime.  Instead, I printed them on printable paper backed fabric.  They are stuffed with  ground walnut shells. 

My sis in law Claudia got the best gift of all.  I got her a 20 quart stock pot and then filled it with the essentials for a low country boil.  I wrapped up 8 pie tins, 8 forks, 8 knives and 8 bar towels wrapped around 8 ball jars (used for beverages).  Also included was a laminated recipe for  my Frogmore Stew and a can of Old Bay type boil seasoning.  It was simple to put together and anyone would love to receive it.  Try it the next time you need a gift that is unique.  

6 comments:

dee said...

Happy New Year Tommy. Lately I'm feeling a bit like that old neighbor. Technology moves soooo fast. Just about the time the kids teach me something new and I'm comfy with it...it's old news.
Hope you have a peaceful, and warm, day.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!!!

I concur with Dee.

xxx

Anonymous said...

Your stew recipe is not on Tommy Cooks. I sounded interesting along with your gift idea.

Beth in TN said...

If you run into that situation with the printing again, you can try taking it to Kinko's/FedEx. They have printed out large docs that would have used up a full ink cartridge for me!

Miracles said...

I wish I had known you arrived on Monday. Judy had a get together today. I told her you were arriving later this week. Let's do dinner Mon or Tues

Anonymous said...

give yourself a big pat on the back for helping out your neighbor with his zip file. Karma.