Sunday, February 03, 2013

Talk About A No Brainer

I once again disrupted the project I was working on to completely change direction. I have been itching to do some etching and having bought the bottle
of etching cream (it sounds like a cosmetic) and cheap glasses from Wallie, I decided to just take the plunge.  I got out my cricut and usisng contact paper I programmed the machine to make ten names.
You can either use the letters themselves and then block off the outside border with blue painters tape and then the etch would be the rectangle around the clear letters.  That seemed like a lot of unnecessary spacing work so I opted to etch the negative part.
I placed the names on an angle (which is SO NOT ME) because the glasses taper a bit
and the paper wasn't lying down as good as I wanted.  Next time, I will make sure I do not have tapered glasses.  I used a burnisher to roll the contact paper flat but I did it just because I have one.  Hands are just fine.
I laid the glass on an old beach towel so there would be no rolling.  I surrounded the name with blue painters tape so that I could walk away and not worry about drips.  
You paint the cream on and a couple minutes later you wash it off and Viola!
You've got yourself a nice group of glasses.  I did this for a silent auction for a fund raiser.  I don't know why I chose these names.  I just thought of my surroundings and it magically appeared in my brain.  We have Chip, Muffie, Babs, Skip, Bunny, Biff, Chaz, Sissy, Bitsy and Tad.  I had other names but ran out of glasses.  A couple of them were early on rejects and I had to do a do over.  

2 comments:

Susan Turney said...

Jeez, Tommy, don't think I'm a cyber-stalker since I just commented on your previous post. I'm invoved in a discussion on a quilting blog and the last 2 times I checked Google Reader for updates, there you were! :)
I LOVE this idea of yours! If I had a cricut I'd be making sets of glasses for all my friends, maybe with their initials or whatever. I know they'd get a kick out of it!

Cindra said...

What a great idea! I pinned this to both my account and the library!

Also, glad to hear you are enjoying OverDrive and ebook/audio books. And so happy you are still keeping us all up with your 'bizness".

Cindra