Thursday, March 14, 2013

Last Nights Fare

I made a very interesting dinner last night. I was watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and while Guy was visiting a cuban restaurant, he made this dish that I had to duplicate. It took me many, many rewinds to write down the process and the ingredients and still, there was stuff I missed.  Plus, a restaurant has stuff in the kitchen that I don't have so I had to wing it when I don't have, say, a salamander.  I didn't do it identically; it called for goat meat and I just wasn't going there. Instead, I substituted pork for the protein.
This is the finished dish.  It was highly praised by my guests.  You know I always need a ginny pig or three to yeah or neigh.  The dish has no name because it was spanish and I am language challenged.  These are the components.

On the bottom of the pile of things lie three medallions  comprised of puff pastry that was rolled out and covered with guava paste and cream cheese; then rolled up chilled, sliced and baked.
 
I started the process the day before by marinading my tenderloin with a bunch of herbs, a can of mandarin oranges, some vinegar, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper.  That remained in the frig for a full day.  It was then dried and browned and cut into two inch thick slices.  On the stove I had a combo of carrots, celery, onion, garlic, potatoes, white wine, water, salt and pepper and a cheesecloth full of bay leaves, thyme and parsley.  I cooked it for several hours until it was cooked down.  Forty five minutes before my guests arrived I added the pork to the pot of vegies.

That was piled onto the puff pastry medallions.  On top of that came the cilantro slaw;  I just made my cole slaw and made it a bit less sweet and added chopped cilantro.
 
Last but not least, toasted cocoanut was sprinkled on top of the slaw.  It was a most excellent meal.

2 comments:

Arleen said...

Who has Gava Paste in their pantry? I'll tell you who.....Tommy The Material Girl!

Robbie said...

We watch Triple D in bed lots..only draw back are the drool on our pillows! So much of the food looks so good!