Saturday, May 11, 2013

Road Trip

The kids came for the weekend last night and I made them my cuban pork pile that I devised in Florida after seeing Guy Fieri describe a dish made out of goat. Seeing as how goat isn't real popular here I decided to change up the protein to pork. This is what it looks like after I take it out of the marinade.  It smells so good.  I ended up originally using o
mandarin oranges for the acid because that is what I had and it worked out so well that I have replicated it again.  Dinner was divine.

I saw a commercial a couple days ago and can't get it out of my mind. It's of two girls that go hit all fifty states and pose at the 'welcome to' sign with a truck stop tee shirt on of the same state and have their picture taken at that sign.  I want to do that.  I have had a day or two to think about it and figured that two of the states, Alaska and Hawaii would have to be gotten to by plane so maybe it would be a three year stint; doing the west, central and east coast; one section each year and within those three years add a flight to the two newest states. Or, going from one side of the country to another, top, middle or bottom or another configuration altogether.   I figure no more than two girlfriends at a time, sharing driving and not driving after dark.  I could mix up my companions if no one wanted to do the whole bucket list with me.  I have to iron out the details.  I could take a year off from life and hit all the states, visiting everyone I know in each state.  That would probably take more than a year, plus I would miss my life too much.  There could be all sorts of things on a wish list; staying at a different motel in each state or the same motel in each state; eat something in the state that they are known for(peaches or pecans in Georgia); walk a mile away from the car in each state and then walk back (to pretend like I was exercising).  There could be all sorts of add ons.  We are having fun just thinking of all the possibilities.

5 comments:

Synthia said...

You have a very fertile mind! (smile)

Susan Turney said...

I'll buy you a t-shirt and take you to the Welcome to Las Vegas sign!

Robbie said...

toooo much for me to think about...I didn't have a bucket list until this year...it was short...sit on an elephant (which I did this winter in Florida!) and to do zip lining! That's it! I'm easy....just not cheap!

Gayle from MI said...

Very ambitious but knowing you I'm sure it will be accomplished. Great fodder for the blog too!

Cindra said...

I have always wanted to hit all 50 states... I have four more to go, but this sounds more complete and much more fun! I think you have to hit one of each state's weird sites... like the highest point in Kansas which is a statue of a sunflower or something like that.