Thursday, May 23, 2013

Rug Burn

We went to the local quilt store this past weekend and saw the beginnings of a rug being made.  I decided I needed to make that for myself.

The fabric is cotton that is cut into 1" strips and it is wound around clothesline rope.

I purchased 1/4" nylon rope from a farm store for $4.89 for 50 feet.

I always like to work with balls so I made balls and secured them from unwrapping by putting a rubber band on it, just like they did at the quilt store.  I decided on two throw rugs to replace the crappy ones I have in my kitchen.  I have taupe tile and speckled solid surface countertops that are black and white and taupe.  I went through my stash
 
and chose this color.  I wanted to use commercial cotton because it would be easier to wind around the rope than heavier hand dyes.

After I started it in the center by wrapping the strips around the rope I pinned it at the start and started to make the shape by doing a large zigzag.

After awhile, I realized that I needed to start with a much longer elongated center so that I would have oval rugs rather than a circle.  I chalked this 18 inch circle up as a practice piece.  I was on my way to JoAnns (that's where I got the fabric originally) to get more but on the way, changed my mind.  I have a very large colorful color palette in the kitchen other than the floor or countertop so I decided to use up some of the many commercial solid  cottons that I have but never use anymore.

I used medium grey thread for the zigzag and made the inside elongated oval about eight inches in length.  The final rug will be the perfect size, around 30 to 34 inches long.

This is a closeup of the process.  You can actually do very long wraps and then secure the end with a straight pin so it won't unravel as you sew then around.

Here is one of the completed rugs and as you can see, I have started it's twin.  I am matching the original.  It's lots of fun and goes pretty fast.  You can get one done easily in one day.

1 comment:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Looks great.
Did you use 50 ft to do a rug?
Having braided rugs in the olden days I know that you have to start with a strip that is the difference between the length and width!
When I was told that I went Duh - I should have been able to figure that out!
Yes, a great way to use commercial fabric we no longer use in our quilts.