Friday, June 14, 2013

A Little Prick

The day I have long dreaded and put off for a year or more came and went yesterday.  All the tests came back in favor of starting on a Enbrel regimen; meaning self administered injections of some refrigerated meds.  The first month of the stuff cost more than my first year of college.  The first month is the most because you have to do it twice a week and after the first month, it's only once a week.  But still, G has mentioned the ad in the convenience store window looking for part time help.  Hummm.
I was supposed to make an appointment for a nurse to give me instruction on how to do it but I figured that the 4 hours there and back were just silly when I received several different instructional cards and I realized that Bella could even do it (you know, if her paws were hands, etc).

I read and reread the material and finally in the afternoon I did it.  This is the picture of the puncture right after I used the Sure Click Autoinjector.  I was very proud of myself.  You can do it in the thigh, stomach or back of arms (tricky to do yourself!)  I chose the thigh and it went off without a hitch.  It feels like lidocaine, as it spreads and is hot feeling.  It takes only 15 seconds.  I really think doing it yourself is much easier than waiting for the unknown with someone else administering it.  Just call me Nurse Jackie.

And the best part of it?  I get my very own Biohazard container for the used injectors.  It is proudly holding court on a shelf in the studio.  It's the little things that make a girl happy, ya know?

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Gee...that's a pretty big holder for old, used sewing needles! :)
Hope this works well for you!!!