Thursday, June 13, 2013

Here Kitty Kitty

I spent a couple days (meaning about 15 total minutes; I get bored scanning the internet) looking for a nice and big paper pieced block that has the silhouette of a cat. I failed miserably and so decided to do one myself. I was rather shocked half way through the process because I am much more of a free spirit in things like this; not measuring and calculating. So, you can imagine my surprise when it seemed to come together.

This was not my first attempt at a ten inch square cat; not by a long shot.  I had several rough drafts and I mean rough.  I was trying to get the block to be able to fit at least half of it on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of vellum.  

I used my cat on the window and made four separate paper pieced parts

that when complete, can be sewn together.  The outside frame of my original cat will just be added strips after the block is together.  

I know, you are saying a paper pieced cat block?  What is she thinking?  Well, this year I decided
to do a cat quilt for the silent auction for the humane society.  Last year, instead of the scrap quilt I normally give them, I made a monster sized dog head quilt.  

There are as many cats as there are dogs at the humane society so I thought I would honor them too.  Now, I just have to make it.

2 comments:

Gayle from MI said...

Oh that would be tons of fun to make them in all different types of fabrics. Good job!

Robbie said...

Yep...true statement about as many cats in rescue as dogs...just so sad there has to be a rescue! Aren't you quite the engineer! he he he