Friday, July 19, 2013

Don't Double Dip!


I decided to make something from my food board on Pinterest to take to a party.  I chose this vegie dip ensemble.  It is advertised as an individual dip bowl that you can eat all by yourself without having any fear of double dipping!

I gathered up colored bell peppers, green onions, sugar snap peas, carrots, celery, zucchini and squash.  I cut them in equal sized match sticks.
 
For the container itself I cut the ends off of a french baguette and then evenly distributed  cuts down the loaf to measure roughly five inches.  I left an inch or so at one end and made a diagonal cut through the bread to end up about an inch from the other end.   That way, you aren't wasting any bread at all.
 
 
You take out as much bread as you can without leaving more holes than you started with.  You will have holes tho'; it's the nature of the beast.  You can use those pieces (sparingly) and pat them down to close up the holes so your dip won't leak through.
 
You can use any dip you want and I went the lazy way and added a box of thawed and squeezed dry frozen chopped spinach to this low cal Caesar Parmigiano dressing.

 It's 45 calories for 2 tablespoons and I would guess that these bread vessels don't even hold that much.
 
It's colorful, and fun.  This appetizer requires no utensils and no cleanup.  Try it with all that wonderful produce you get this weekend at the farmers market.  How about those little tiny corn cobs?  I think jicama would be yummy too.

2 comments:

barbd2 said...

These were clever and FABULOUS!!!!

Robbie said...

You are so clever!