Saturday, August 03, 2013

I Made Pickles!

Once again I found myself under the influence of Diners, DriveIns and Dives. It is a standing rule that each night, along with my hand work or knitting, there has to be a tablet and pen to jot down something I thought sounded like a good thing while watching triple D.

The last thing I jotted down was an irish dish.  I have to procure the ingredients before I make it
.  This is making your own pickles and it took three weeks.  I first purchased a couple cucumbers and used my mandolin to make very fine slices.  I then added pickling salt , crushed red pepper and mustard seed and let rest for a day.



Next I added cider vinegar, sugar, turmeric and water and let it sit in the refrigerator for three weeks.


I got the pickles out of the frig and drained them well.  I let them set for a bit while I made a dipping sauce


made out of sour cream, buttermilk, sugar, pepper and chives.  I tossed the pickles in just flour


and put them in the deep fryer for about five minutes and they were perfect.  Two cukes makes a helluva lot of chips.  The only downside as is with all fried things is the cleanup of the deep fryer.  I always do the frying on the four seasons porch or the lanai in Florida.  I hate the oil smell in the house.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

You said they were "perfect" but would they good?? Would you make them again?? We had some fried green beans that were delicious!! Who knew!!! Kinda wondering what else will be put in a fryer!