Saturday, September 07, 2013

Chips Ahoy!

I did something yesterday that I rarely do; I went to the movies. I don't like to go for several reasons, one of which is that I can't sit still that long. Also, I cry easily and it's always embarrassing when it's not even a sad movie, and I leave it blubbering. It also happens when I see a Hallmark commercial, so there you have it.  Then there's the concept that you have to drink carbonated beverages along with some popcorn and a variety of dots/juju's'/good and plenty/ mike and ike's/milk duds/malted milk balls; and then have to listen to the stomach for the rest of the day; Not so good after fifty years old.

There was so much hype about 'The Butler' that a few friends and I went to see it.  It was a very somber car ride home after the very long and drawn out movie that made me embarrassed of my heritage.  The acting was amazing and the amount of characters was staggering.  There were scenes I couldn't even watch.  It was pretty intense.  If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have gone.  It's why I don't watch the news.  It is just depressing and there isn't a thing I can do about it.

I was thinking about cucumbers when I was at the farmer's market and decided to buy myself some

 
and slice them very very thin for pickle chips.  I seem to remember a internet girlfriend who is visiting next month say that she would really like to try these.  So, having Robbie, Gayle and Irene in mind, I sliced away and then made the brine and settled
 
the, soon to be pickle slices, in the refrig to await their arrival (and it's at least a three week wait).  Then the fryer will come out of the garage and land in the three season porch (to eliminate any frying smell in the house), ready to fry up some pickle chips.  Yum!