Saturday, January 18, 2014

Cleaning Out The Pantry

Yesterday I was back to my old self and did some stuff that I had been putting off for ever. When I purchased russets for Christmas dinner, I couldn't resist buying the big bag as it was a feature sale and I just can't resist a good deal.
(That may be why I have 36 regular toothbrushes on hand and everyone in the family uses electric ones; ya just never know.)  So, three fourths of the potatoes came with us to Florida and have been growing eyes in the pantry.  Yesterday was the end of that.  I peeled them all (two batches in mega pots), diced them, boiled them and cooled them.  I added milk, sour cream, butter, salt and pepper and mashed them first and then used the hand mixer to finish up the process.  I then labeled freezer ziplocks and put in enough mashed potatoes to serve as a meal side, and popped them in the freezer.

I then went to tackle another project that has been looming for a couple weeks.  Remember, around the first of the year I saw an app on DD&D that I wanted to try?  It was this

garlic onion tortilla cake which is cut into wedges and served as an appetizer.  I had some friends over to try it and it was a hit so in the next couple days I accrued lots of the ingredients, so I could make them again and try different ways of freezing them (as you know, I like having snacks on hand).  So, yesterday was the day.

This is a very simple preparation and I wanted to see how good it freezes.  I figured there are tons of frozen mexican treats, like taquitos, etc, so why not?  I followed the directions except I left out the cilantro (because I didn't have any and wasn't in the mood to go shopping).   You layer tortillas up with a thin layer of the topping in between layers.

You pat each layer down before adding another.  The recipe calls for 12 tortillas but all the packages I bought have ten so ten is what I used.  They are all in the refrigerator or freezer seeing how they pass the freezer test.  I couldn't decide whether to cut in the wedges before freezing or not, so I am doing both and will see what works out the best.

By the way, one of these recipes call for roasting your own garlic and this one calls for jarred roasted garlic.  Hey, I couldn't tell the difference when it was complete so why go to the bother.  I was buying the little jars and realized that you need at least two for one recipe so I purchased one of those large jars of minced garlic.  I drained it and dried it for a bit.  I spread it out on a parchment covered sheet pan and popped it in a 350ยบ oven for a few minutes (I watched it very closely so it wouldn't burn).  It turned out perfectly.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

You are an ambitious lady! I am sharing this one with my sister...she entertains as much as you do if not more!!!