Monday, June 02, 2014

Spring Rolls

For the Blackhawks, it was one goal short to going on to the Stanley Cup Championship rounds. We played well but when they went into overtime, The Kings got the first shot. Hockey is over for this season and for this team. I have retired my jersey to the cedar closet for the summer.



I was such a fan of the spring rolls that Maggie and Evan made over Memorial weekend that I thought I would give them a try.  We had as yet to dump the oil in the deep fryer so why not use it again?
   
It's quite labor intensive with cut up green beans, cukes, carrots, jicama, pork, shrimp, eggs, shitakes and various oils and seasonings.  It took a long time to assemble all the parts.

I have eaten a lot of spring rolls but never used them myself.  You put them in water to soften enough to manipulate.  I may have gotten mine too wet.  You place it on a towel and brush the top with egg wash.  A third of a cup mixture goes in the center.


You roll up the bottom first, and then the sides, tightening it up as much as possible to make it compact.

 
If a tear happens, put it on the bottom because then when you start the wrapping process



the imperfection will be all wrapped up.

They are a bit fragile so a less than heavy hand is needed.

 
They are now ready for the deep fryer (I keep it on the porch so it won't smell up the house.



I had a bit of trouble with air pockets and exploding wrappers.  When it was all said and done I went on  line and it's obviously a common problem.  The biggest culprit is to much moisture and bad backing of the  filler so that air pockets fill up with steam.  In hind sight I think my wrappers were too wet.  Hey, you learn something every day!

I froze them to have when my girlfriends come in a couple weeks. They still taste divine!

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Yum....these looked good when you posted them a few weeks ago...you are such a great hostess so your buds will thoroughly enjoy these as well as your presence!