Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Gone Girl Is Thankfully Gone

I can't remember the last book that threw me for a loop, except for Cold Mountain and I think that was twenty years ago. Gone Girl? Wow. I don't even know what to say.

I loved it in the beginning.  It was well written and clever and I couldn't wait to see what came next.  That is, until I realized that it wasn't getting better, just more maniacal.  I was three fourths through it yesterday and as I got to the end, and Nick was writing his own version of the story, I was somewhat relieved that the sociopath/psychopath Amy was not gonna rule the day and then three pages later, yeah, she ended up getting just what she wanted.  It was not my favorite book by any stretch.  I almost wish I didn't read it.  I didn't like the overall book at all.

I read Sharp Objects by the same author and can't recall being so anti book after completing it.

8 comments:

Corky said...

They sure are not likable characters are they?

Susan Turney said...

The ending was a killer. I really "liked" reading the book and couldn't wait to pick it up and read more. Until the end. I was so pissed. I couldn't figure out why friends said they hated the book but then the ending told me why. It seems odd to me that an author would choose to end that way since some will probably choose not to buy more books from her.

SpikeMuffin said...

The book accomplished its mission. Thought provoking and provocative. I didn't read it but appreciate the reviews.

Mike said...

I really liked the book. I couldn't put it down and for me that is a sign of a good book. I even liked the end because it was so unexpected. I would love to read a sequel.

Barbara said...

I didn't like the book, the characters were not likable yet I kept reading to find out the ending.

I finally found a few other people that didn't like the book, I keep hearing people say they loved and I just shrug.

Robbie said...

Ditto on what 'Barbara' said!

Irene said...

My feelings exactly.

Maggie Fitzsimmons said...

I feel a little responsible, since I recommended it to you. Whoops! Can't win them all!

Confession: I hate books you only read for plot, so I read the ending pretty much right away; then I read the book to see how it fit together. I really liked how the author moved the characters along and switched perspectives. I also don't need a character to be likeable to like a book, so that wasn't important to me.

As an aside, SpikeMuffin's comment made me laugh out loud.

Your Daughter.