Saturday, August 16, 2014

New Food Stuff

I spent most of yesterday making three new appetizers from my compilation of 'Not Made Yet' notebook for a surprise birthday party that Regina hosted for our friend Sue's 60th birthday party.

First up was stuffed baby bell peppers.  I got the recipe from The Food Network Magazine (it was one of the two recipes I chose from the May 2014 issue).

You start out with

a bag or two of the baby bells.  The recipe called for a skillet to blister the skins but I chose the oven due to the amount I did.  I just sprayed them with cooking spray and baked them.  When they were cooled I split them from stem to the bottom and tried to get out all the seeds.

 
The stuffing consisted of ground pork along with a diced poblano, onion, garlic and spices.  I used my hands to stuff them.

They were mighty good.

Next up was a recipe I got from a Appetizer magazine (the cover recipe, which is why I bought the magazine to begin with.  It is called zucchini rolls with herbed goat cheese with red pepper.


The zucchini was cut 1/8" thick on a mandolin.  Then you salt both sides and lay them on paper towels for 15 or so minutes to soften and remove excess water.  Then they are patted dry and laid out.

 
On each slice you put goat cheese, softened and combined with fresh thyme, chives, cayenne and s &p. At the end you put red pepper and chives and roll them up.  Very simple.

They all held together without the aid of a toothpick (the goat cheese mix being the glue.)


They turned out positively adorable.
 
Next up was a recipe from Jeff Mauro (one of the Next Food Network Star).  It was simple.  Manchego cheese and sliced dates and bacon  quesadillas.  The serving accompaniment was pistachio cream, which consisted of ground pistachios, lemon red pepper flakes garlic, olive oil spinach and sour cream. Yum!!!

1 comment:

Robbie said...

I love you and want to be adopted so I can eat all the food you cook!