Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving To You All!

I was in the kitchen most of yesterday and after I had bagged partially cooked angel hair pasta for
travel, I went to the stove to turn down the burner and do a little stirring.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw whirling and I spun around to find that the bag had tipped (I hadn't closed it yet) and from the counter to the head of Bella some strands of pasta fell.  Because they were newly cooked, they were a bit sticky and Bella was trying to twist her head to get it in her mouth.  It was hilarious.  I thought it was so cute that I assisted her a bit and she got to eat three strands of pasta.  That certainly made her day.

If you doze off after your Thanksgiving feast, don't blame the turkey; it probably was the potatoes.  Tryptophan is an essential amino acid, a nutrient that combines to form proteins.  Although turkey today likely contains the most tryptophan in the meal, turkey contains less than other meats, fish and poultry.  For example, look at these levels of tryptophan:

Bacon                     0.407
Chicken Breast       0.362
Salmon                   0.322
Turkey Leg            0.311
Turkey Thigh        0.310
Pork Loin              0.282
Chicken Thigh      0.268
Shrimp                  0.260
Cod                       0.256
Turkey Breast       0.229
Cured Ham           0.229
Tofu                      0.196
Roast Beef            0.190

So why the post meal crash?
Probably overeating and the meal is typically full of carbs, fats, sweets and alcohol.  Hey, I can live with a little post meal sleepiness.  How bout you?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 comments:

Gayle from MI said...

Too funny! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Robbie said...

OMG...now you're becoming a scientist! What can't you do! That would have been a great pic of Bella!!!
Just finished my 1st turkey dinner...kitchen all clean...now back to cooking/prepping tomorrow for another turkey dinner on Saturday!