Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Oven-less

Yesterday I decided to clean the oven after completing all that I could do to pre prepare for today (Christmas Eve) and tomorrow (Christmas). It seemed like a good idea. That is, until I looked over at the oven to pre heat it for french bread to go with our shrimp angel hair pesto. No lights were on and the door wouldn't open. It had been 8 hours since the cleaning and I had all sorts of stuff swimming in my head; prime rib, scalloped potatoes, apps, rolls, sides, all needed an oven. Here it is, the culprit.

I have discussed this problem (leaving the holiday dinner to a toaster, grill, stovetop and microwave) with my adorable daughter Maggie, and we decided to leave the meal as is; make the theme of this years Christmas meal to be the December issue of Food Network Magazine and no oven.  It just doesn't matter.  It's the family that is important; not what we are partaking in, right?

Merry Merry Christmas to you all.

2 comments:

Tee said...

Not to rub salt in the wound, but check this out:
http://www.thekitchn.com/do-not-selfclean-your-oven-before-thanksgiving-heres-why-213295

Robbie said...

This is funny...I always clean my oven before the 'south' trip but hate the fumes from the self clean or using sprays...so this year I did the old Baking soda, vinegar and Dawn detergent...painting it all over the oven. It worked! REALLY messy to remove it (you leave overnight) but worth it. Also, racks were cleaned in tub (no one uses the small bath so....) with hot water and 1/2 cup dishwasher soap...no more smells for me and my oven still works!!! Happy New Year kid!!!