Monday, December 01, 2014

Tom Turkey


For some odd reason, our turkey fryers don't last more than two years.  I have no idea why but this year we got one that is indoor.  We didn't use it indoor due to the grease smell but we did have it on our three season porch (which in the winter serves us well as a refrig/ freezer, depending on the weather).  The biggest turkey

that it will hold is a 14 pounder but I could only find a 12 pound + and then the poundage soured up to 17!

It took around 45 minutes.  And what a looker it was!  G cleaned off all the good stuff and then the carcass joined the two other ones I stole from my sister in law on Thanksgiving and I started a stock pot.
 
You cover any bones you have with cold water and bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 hours.

When I was in culinary school and long after, I couldn't toss any bone without getting some flavor out of it.  I got away from that but three nice skeletons just seemed right to make stock.  This picture shows how big the stock pot is compared to a McCormick's spice jar.  After the initial rendering of flavor, you throw in
a cheesecloth bundle of parsley stems, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaf, along with celery, carrots, and onions.  Two hours later at simmer, the stock is done.

I put it on the porch until last night when my company was gone and then I strained it, using a extra large rubber band and cheese cloth on another stock pot.
 
It rendered a beautiful stock.

It made a lot so you could easily get a half gallon out of your one turkey carcass if you had the will to do it.  I'm just sayin'.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

I only had two carcass and made stock too. Love it for soup and just to have rather than box (or canned!). HA Sliders look really good!!!