Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Great Outdoors

I finally took my camera on one of our walks to get better pictures of wildlife around our house. I have gotten into a terrible habit of leaving it behind. I thought the new iPhone would take up some of the photo duty but they just don't seem to turn out as well. We had an alligator about 8 feet from our sidewalk that the phone at almost dusk just did not capture.

These birds are true beauties.  They are sandhill cranes and they literally have the run of the place.
They have darling red heads.  They travel in groups of two or more and sometimes as many as six or eight.  They are tall, 3 to 4 feet and although they fly, I have never seen them do that.  They just gracefully walk around and pluck something out of the ground.  You have to watch the roads for them
because they do not follow directions well.

I found this fantastic outdoor terra-cotta pot concoction for my herbs.  It's a perfect size, maybe 3 1/2 feet tall and has seven pots.  I have basil, rosemary, sage, parsley, chives, thyme and oregano in it.  Yesterday was the perfect time to plant because it rained quietly for part of the night.  I would love to have this set up up north as well but my house is contemporary and I just don't know if this would look right in the front garden.  I will have to think about it.  Actually, it would be cool if I could find one that was not terra cotta and maybe glazed and squared off more.  I'll check it out.  Who knows?

2 comments:

Cindra said...

I remember the Sandhill Cranes when I lived in Indiana. Seeing them fly in their flocks overhead was amazing and noisy! They truly are unique and they know it.

Mike said...

I love the pots...they would go great on my patio. Where did you get them.