Monday, July 13, 2015

Harvest Time

It's time for the first crop of the summer to be harvested. Yeah, I'm talking basil.

 When the leaves start to shrivel a bit that is my indication that they will start shrinking and the crop will be much smaller if I let them go.  It is always a bit daunting to do the basil.  There are lots of leaves that need to be hand  picked and washed and then there's the trip to the big box store for ample supplies, olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese and either walnuts or pine nuts, depending on the availability.

So out to the deck I go with Bella (she's at the top of the picture, on a chair) and my trusty clippers and
 
mow down the basil and put the blooms in a laundry basket of two.  Then I wait for G to come home
from golf to take out all the roots and make the soil pliable to add more new basil plants into them.

He does that and goes to the big box store (Lowes) and gets a new crop of basil starters

 
and plants them, in a drizzle which I point out and he is as happy as a clam to plant in the mist in order
to avoid watering the old fashioned way.

The process goes on and on.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Lots of work but well worth it!!!