Monday, October 26, 2015

Olden Days

I got some great tips from the tenth anniversary magazine by Racheal Ray and they are as follows:

Pop out olive or cherry pits with the flat side of a chef's knife. Press down and they come right out. 

Fresh out of confectioner's sugar? Whizz granulated sugar in a clean coffee grinder and it turns to powder. Along with this I saw on The Kitchen last week that you can clean a coffee grinder for multiple uses by grinding up some day old bread. Who knew?

Out of red wine vinegar? Make a substitute by adding 1 tsp. of red wine to 2 tablespoons cider vinegar.

Microwave garlic cloves for 10 seconds. The skin will pop right off!

When you are done juicing lemons, use them to wipe down a cutting board to disinfect it and make it smell nice.

Scrambling eggs? Whisk them with a fork, not a whisk, so you don't incorporate too much air that makes them dry.

Use leftover chopped herbs with butter to make an instant flavored spread that is delicious for bread, roasted vegie or a juicy steak.

Clean your cast iron skillet with a paste of coarse salt and water.

 
This a picture my sister in law, Claudia, sent me today.  It is eight of my siblings in a hotel room the night before we laid my grandfather to rest, my father's father.  It was 1976 and I was pregnant with Peter who I gave birth to the next year.  The line up is, from oldest to youngest, Pat, Mike, Tom, Mol, Bill, John, Dan and Tim.  Can you guess where I am? Next year it will be 40 years old.  Wow!

Today we go to the bee, River Quilters, which meets once a month on Monday for an all day sew 'in'.  I have to cut it short because I have rehearsal for the murder mystery dinner.  Eventually I will take the dirty dishes out of the sink.  Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: