Thursday, November 26, 2015

Turkey Day

Happy Thanksgiving!!!  I can't believe that it is going to be 57º today.  This may change what I would be wearing to the festivities, that is, if I gave it a thought so far, which I haven't.

It's official, the holiday season.  G came in from walking the dog this morning and gave me my first holiday card of the season.




It's from my BFF Robbie, and it has wonderful pictures of their year.  On the back is a blurb about
their new 3 year old rescue dog, Gigi.  Very sweet.  I will be making some Christmas cards this weekend with my sis Mike.

After attending a Thanksgiving themed Cause A Stir Kitchen Club and Sharyn dry brined her turkey and it was the juiciest turkey I have ever had, I decided to do it myself.



We got a fresh turkey a couple days ago and I took out all the bags of stuff, the neck, the pop up timer, and the plastic holding the legs together.  I then took off the creepy fat that, for some reason, they leave on the fresh birds. I patted it dry and stuck the wings under the turkey (yes, it's a bit cruel but it is dead after all).

I slipped my hand under the skin or the breast and what I could get at of the drumsticks and separated the skin from the meat. and salted it heavily.  I also threw a couple teaspoons of salt in the cavity.  With a mix of salt, pepper and some herbs (I used dried chervil and thyme- you can change up the herbs any concoction you want).  Salt needs to be the biggest amount.  Then mix it up and massage it into the bird.  I needs to sit in the frig, uncovered, for one to three days.

The rest of the process is the same. You can roast, grill or deep fry.  I will keep you posted as to how it turns out.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Well, since I am your BBFF (the extra B is for an additional 'best'!), it's only fitting you receive my Christmas card before any other BFF! Glad you enjoyed it! Happy Holidays! I'm cooking my 2nd Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow! Been working my butt off today (worked my tail off yesterday!). Kids coming up from Indiana for the day on Saturday! When do you head back to Florida? We leave in about 5 weeks! I think the dogs are ready! Gigi doesn't like grass let alone wet grass! Takes me forever to walk her or get her to pee...at least she holds it, thank heaven for small favors!