Wednesday, December 16, 2015

43 Years And Counting

Today G and I are going to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary.  It's hard to believe that I could even be that old, much less be married that long.  Where oh where does the time go?

I have made my list of things to make ahead and freeze for those who are at the house or for those that come to the house over the winter to get prepared food.  The list consists of two appetizers; Mini Cheeseburgers, which I am highlighting today, and Hanky Pankys.  Along with that I will be making Taco Soup, Turkey Tet, Enchiladas, Shephards Pie, Tortilla Soup, Spaghetti Pie and Chicken Pot Pie.  The Enchiladas and the Hanky Pankys are already in the freezer.  Today the Taco Soup and Mini Cheeseburgers will join them.




I use frozen Rhodes bread dough for the mini buns.  I roll the three thawed bread loaves into balls
about the size of nickels, round nickels.  They go into sprayed mini muffin pans.  I put egg wash on the top of them  I proof them for a few minutes in the bottom oven at 200º to let them rise a bit.  Then they go into a preheated 350º oven for around 7 to 10 minutes.


 

When I am ready to put them together, I first split the buns into three sections.  I discard the middle section.  It makes the buns better fitting for the size I like.

 

These are what the buns look like without the mid section.

 

I have, in the past, used the mid sections to make more buns.  They are a great quick lunch
but aren't as pretty for entertaining as the other ones.



Before the burger goes on, I mix ketchup and mustard together to form the 'glue' and that goes on both insides of the buns,  Then cheese and burger go on and they are placed on a tray to freeze before they are bagged.

I had better get back to the kitchen!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Happy Anniversary...Are you two doing anything fun to celebrate? I am very lucky to have a sister who loves to cook. Because of her, I will have food for the winter. Yes...Tommy is a great sister. My friends all wish she was their sister. No...you can't have her. Thanks, Tommy.

Robbie said...

Hmmmmm I can't even add all "mine" up to get to a 43rd anniversary! he he he he