Friday, January 01, 2016

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

We went to a dinner party on our block last night and I took advantage at having the 2015 appetizer magazine by Better Homes and Gardens, so I tried a couple new recipes. After all the magazine will be dated now that it is 2016. Do you ever wonder how long it will take you to put the right year on your checkbook? I have held out with the last years date into March some years. I will try to do better this year. I can't remember anything anyway so if I zero in on the four numbers, 2016, it just may work. And that reminds me that I will be getting a new Mahjong card come April. It's the little things that make me happy.

Okay, back to the new app recipes. I decided to make the tiny baked potatoes stuffed with shrimp and bacon, gouda and cream cheese.

The only time consuming part was using a melon baller to take out the insides of the potato.  These are very tiny yellow mini potatoes that were cut lengthwise.  I would say they were 1 1/2" or smaller in diameter.  A precious size.

 

I smeared on a combo of old bay, evoo and dijon mustard  on them before baking for a half hour.



Right before leaving for the party I filled them with the shrimp, bacon cheese mixture and sprinkled with chives.  Again, they were adorable and they tasted good too.

The second new app I made was simple simple.  You take a dry scallop



and roll it up on a thin slice of prosciutto with a piece of fresh basil on it.  These are dashed with
pepper and broiled for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.

 

I then skewered them and served with a roasted red pepper aioli, which was just drained roasted red peppers, garlic, mayo, and s and p.  Very pretty and very yum.

Last night was the first time  in forever that we actually stayed up for the new year.  I was impressed with myself.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

First time in years that I was up for New Year's too...but only because I was trying to get our new little resuce to go pee on the wet grass!!! Took me 20 minutes! I heard the fireworks and when I came in hubby said "well, you missed it!"...I told him not really since I've missed it for the past 10 years so no big deal!