Monday, February 20, 2017

Words, Marvelous Words


I was reading a Lisa Scottoline book, 'Come Home' and the word padiddle came up.  Have you ever heard of it?


I am forever surprised that I can go through life at 67 (almost) and not know common words.


Padiddle

Padiddle, alternatively spelled pediddle, perdiddle and kadiddle, is a Canadian and American slang term for a vehicle with a burnt-out headlight or brake light. It is also the name of a nighttime travel game involving spotting such vehicles. Cars with only one illuminated tail light are called pidadle in some areas of the country.

This doesn't happen very often.  About 15 years ago I heard the term segue.  I had never heard the word that I was aware of.  I asked G if he knew what it was and he said yes.  I mentioned that he has never used the word and as he said, 'I don't need to use a word to know what it means'.  Touche!  By the way, I use it now matter of factly.

One other word, obsequious, I had never heard until the movie 'The Big Easy'.  Ellen Barkin used it in answering Dennis Quaid.

Where did all this come from?  I was gonna talk about the daisy quilts!  Tomorrow.

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Oh my gosh! We used to play this 'pidadle' game all the time when driving at night! I forgot all about it! I'll have to remind my sister!!! You don't see many cars now a days with only one headlight! Which is surprising, because US cars have lights on all day long for safety! HA

Margie said...

Never heard paddle or any other spelling of it. Funny!

Corky said...

Yes! I grew up in Detroit and we did padiddle there. When one was driving with their sweetie you were supposed to kiss when seeing a padiddle.

Marybeth said...

Yep, I used to play this game also. The goal was to reach 100 sightings. I don't remember if that won us a kiss or if we got a kiss with each padiddle. Oh, the memories!!